Posted on February 27, 2008 by Robert A. Kraft

Did you know that you may claim citizenship if you are under the age of 18 (or were under 18 when the following requirements were met), and either of your parents are U.S. citizens, but you were born abroad? You may apply to the Immigration Service for a certificate of citizenship. In order to be issued a certificate of citizenship the following requirements must be met: 1. At least one parent is a U.S. citizen either by birth (acquired citizenship) or naturalization (derivative citizenship); 2. The child must be under 18 years of age; 3. The child is in the United States pursuant to a lawful admission, or outside of the U.S in the legal and physical custody of the citizen parent and is temporarily present in the U.S. pursuant to a lawful admission and is maintaining lawful status; and 4. The U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States for at least five years (at least two years of which were after the parent reached 14 years of age); or the child’s grandparent must meet the five year physical presence requirement.

If you met these requirements before your 18th birthday, regardless of your age now, call us at 214-999-9999 to learn more about how to apply for a certificate of citizenship.

Trackbacks (0) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL